Saturday, January 2, 2010

New Year's resolutions in action!

Back in November I joined Weight Watchers. So far I've lost 8.8 pounds (and counting). I've found that as long as I stick to the points --continue tracking-- and work out on a regular basis that's when I see the most success. The holidays have been a challenge. But, I haven't seen a dramatic gain from them. I do feel that the term "Momentum" is truly applicable in this case! My hubby asks why I decided to join WW before the holidays. I say it's better than if I didn't because during my meetings they announced that the AVERAGE weight gained during the holidays is 12 pounds. And, that's just the AVERAGE! If I hadn't joined Weight Watchers when I did, I would have tipped the scales at over 200 pounds. Now, you can ask my friends and co-workers if I look "that heavy" and they would so "no way". I have the curvy body type that hides the pounds well. It's a blessing and a curse all in one! It's been a curse mainly because it perpetuated my denial of my weight because no one thought I "looked" overweight when the scales were telling me otherwise.

This all brings me to New Year's resolutions. I've been using my gym membership on a regular basis. So, it was interesting to see all the extra people at the gym today no doubt working on their resolutions. I vow not to be one of those people who go gung-ho the first couple months of the year only to drop off in February and give up. Like I said, I've built up enough momentum to get into a good routine. My weightloss goal for 2010 is to lose 36 pounds to get to my BMI weight for my height (5'3"). This is definitely doable. 36 pounds divided by 12 months is only 3 pounds a month loss. If I were truly ambitious, I could try to cut that time in half to lose 6 pounds per month for 6 months! We shall see...

I'm planning on working some strength training into my workout. Cardio is my favorite. I always feel like I have to push myself to try any strength training. We had a family gift exchange for this past Christmas. I asked for Jillian Michael's 30-Day Shred. I haven't started it, yet. I do have two of her books. I'm impressed with her go-getting style on The Biggest Loser. I'll let you know how I like the DVD after I try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment