Tuesday, January 19, 2010

France: January 5, 2002

During Christmas 2001, I got to meet my biological Mom...heretofore referred to as "Cali-Mom" for the first time since I was approximately 1 1/2 years of age. During my trip to California, I told Cali-Mom that I was going to study abroad in the upcoming semester of college. So, she gave me a black, leatherbound journal as a Christmas gift to record my experiences studying abroad "en France". The inscription on the inside cover reads "2001, Rachael, Enjoy France and do as the locals say, 'Eat, drink, and be merry!' Love from your Mom".

Here is the first of many posts from that journal:

January 5, 2002:

Bonjour! Well, this is my first entry on my journey to study abroad in France. I am writing this as I wait to board my first plane for the first leg of my journey...from Pittsburgh, PA to Detroit, MI. Once I get to Detroit, I have a 3-hour layover. Then, I depart Detroit at 9:15 p.m. for Paris, France, where I am to arrive at 11:10 a.m., Sunday, January 6th, 2002!! I will be attending l'Universite de Picardie Jules Verne in Amiens, France. All I need are these final 12 credits to graduate from Clarion University of Pennsylvania. I already got $70 in Euros for my arrival in France. The currency is pretty...That's funny, huh? I'll probably keep some to bring home to show Mommy, Daddy, Missy and the kids. :) Oops, I forgot to get Marta & Van's address from Missy before I left. Oh well, I can call or e-mail Marta for it. Hmm, I am excited, anxious, scared all rolled into one happy smiling package right now. This is a dream come true for me to go to France. I plan (<-- see "plan") on writing in this journal religiously while I'm there. I just wish I knew bigger, more flowery words! The Lord has truly blessed me! Talk to ya later! - Rachael :)

No comments:

Post a Comment